12/19/2010

Little Drummer Boy

My all-time, favorite Christmas carol is Little Drummer Boy. I'll share the part that never fails to bring me to tears - "pa rum pum pum pums" omitted, of course.

Little baby
I am a poor boy too
I have no gift to bring
That's fit to give our King
Shall I play for you
On my drum

And, here come the water works. I can relate to the boy's sincerity when he admits that he feels he has nothing to offer the King; nothing that's worthy to present to the King; nothing within himself that would be considered -by any stretch of the imagination - as being good enough.

I am nothing within myself. I'm at the mercy of God's strength and grace. Not until I allow God to take this lump of clay and form it into His image, will I experience true success and produce an offering that is worthy to present to our King. God in me, makes me able to do "all things".

I imagine an unexpected relief washing over the drummer's face, as he grasps his drum sticks. Almost, as a second thought, the child remembers the one thing that he is able to do, however small; playing his drum. So he takes that talent, that gift of God that he has become so familiar with and plays his little heart out.

I hope this encourages someone to stir up the gift of God, which is in thee (2 Timothy 1:6) and use that thing to bring Glory to God, throughout this holiday season and everyday.

No comments: